Pages

Saturday 29 January 2011

Oh glorious quotations...one to five

I've been reading quite a bit over the last few days, when I haven't been looking after my niece or dealing with flooding or other crazy things that seem to fall into my lap. I have also been emailing some friends and family when I get the chance. *

While in the process of this emailing thing I have been looking at a lot of quotes that make me think, laugh or feel good...I'm sure you all have a saying or quote that makes you smile slightly.

Well, today I thought I would share some of my favourite quotes - well, five to be exact.

Starting from the very beginning ** -

One:
"Do as little harm to others as you can; make any sacrifice for your true friends; be responsible for yourself and ask nothing of others; and grab all the fun you can. Don't give much thought to yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow, live in the moment, and trust that your existence has meaning even when the world seems to be all blind chance and chaos. When life lands a hammer blow in your face, do your best to respond to the hammer as if it had been a cream pie."
Dean Koontz 
I love this quote - it is one that I truly try to live by but since the worry monster seems intent on controlling my life at times I sometimes forget this...come on, you all have your own worry monsters, I am not alone in this!
 
Two:
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
Cassandra Clare
I am very much part of Team Simon. There is something about witty, somewhat geeky boys that brings a smile to my face. Also, Cassandra Clare has a very witty style of writing and I have often heard her books referred to as 'endlessly quotable' and I have to agree. 
 
Three:
"…because nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’."
John Green
Those faithful readers will know about my love ::*::coughobsessioncough::*:: with John Green's books and this isn't a quote from one of his books but from the man himself and I love it. Honestly, how can you not!

Four:
Mrs Weasley: "I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful! A prefect! That's everyone in the family!"
George: "What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?" 
J K Rowling
Aside from Luna Lovegood, Fred and George are my favourite characters from the world of Harry Potter. And, as with all the quotes so far, I couldn't really narrow down my favourite one. 
And, finally, Five:
"If you have never spent whole afternoons with burning ears and rumpled hair, forgetting the world around you over a book, forgetting cold and hunger--

If you have never read secretly under the bedclothes with a flashlight, because your father or mother or some other well-meaning person has switched off the lamp on the plausible ground that it was time to sleep because you had to get up so early--

If you have never wept bitter tears because a wonderful story has come to an end and you must take your leave of the characters with whom you have shared so many adventures, whom you have loved and admired, for whom you have hoped and feared, and without whose company life seems empty and meaningless--

If such things have not been part of your own experience, you probably won't understand what Bastian did next."
Michael Ende 
One of my best birthday presents ever was one of the cheapest. I don't know how my mum ever found it but she did: a copy of The Neverending Story that she got for me and it cost roughly $5 NZD.  And this quote is so very true!
   
Did you see what I did there - not only did I give you some great quotes I also gave you some great authors. Oh my skills and evilry (is there such a word?***) know no bounds...
Peace and pancakes y'all!


*When I remember... :o)
**A very good place to start!
***According to spellcheck - no...but it is now! It's a cross between evil and villainy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment