Pages

Monday 8 November 2010

Scary Nursery Rhymes or NaNoWriMo Day 8

As I sit on my bed simultaneously trying to write just a few extra words and update this blog I find myself searching for inspiration in the form of a scary nursery rhyme. Although this may sound terribly cliched, one of my main characters has just glimpsed part of the 'big bad'* and had been reminded of a poem or nursery rhyme that her mother used to sing to her when she was little. However, this just leads to more bad memories from a childhood plagued with abuse - mainly mental abuse. (Cliched characters bad two...)

And, while I search for the perfect tale I am reminded of those rhymes that sacred me when I was younger. I always remember the Tommyknocker rhyme - you know:
"Late last night and the night before, 
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers, 
knocking at the door. 
I want to go out, don't know if I can,
'cause I'm so afraid of the Tommyknocker man." 

I remember saying that to my sister until we were both too terrified to go near the door, especially at night. And this got me thinking about how harmless words, when arranged the right way, have so much power.
 I know it's not a huge revelation but it always strikes me as interesting  how scared certain words can make us.

Anyway, if anyone out there knows of a great nursery rhyme that scared them as a child feel free to leave a comment about it. I'm always on the look out for more interesting bits and bobs.

Another short one tonight, sorry folks.

Wordcount - 18,247
Tunes -The sounds of my keyboard tap, tap, tapping away...

*Thanks to Joss Whedon for some great phrases (everything's shiny folks...)

1 comment:

  1. Funny, scary nursery rhymes... The first thing that comes to mind is "In the dark, dark, night there was a dark, dark, wood. In the dark, dark wood is a dark, dark house. In the dark, dark house there is a dark, dark door..." And the story with the girl and the green ribbon around her neck. We loved scary stories as wee kids at primary school sleepovers. :)

    ReplyDelete