Pages

Friday 8 July 2011

I'm Sick...boo freaking hoo...

Dear Diary,

Today is day four of me having this stupid head cold. I'm pretty sure that my brain has dissolved to the state where it now resembles a lone island in a sea of brain juice. And, this gets me to thinking, there are cases that I have heard of where people don't have a full brain yet they are still able to function relatively normally. I'm sure you're all aware of Phineas Gage. A worker who had a large iron rod driven through his head. It's really fascinating reading - even though I've only linked to the wikipedia page because that gives a rough over view.

Then there is Gabrielle Giffords the congresswoman in the US who survived an assassination attempt. That is, quite frankly, amazing. 

I don't know how my cold lead me to think about cases as such. I've always been a bit of a swot or nerd and I find learning about new things absolutely fascinating.* Actually, I find random trivia amazing as well. Though being called a walking wikipedia can be rather embarrassing/annoying at times.

Changing topics, I have to admit that I am a little in love with my Kindle. I have downloaded a few classics and am looking at some purchases for when I get paid again. I mean, I still have 'real' books but I was in town today with my friend** and she had to take her kids into the doctors office and I sat in the car to chill with my own germs and starting reading some H.P. Lovecraft when I found out that I can get the kindle to read to me. Sure it sounds like a robot but it was still pretty darn amazing. I was also impressed when the voice (you can choose male robot or female robot) pronounced Cthulu correctly.

I'm going to blame my head cold for this post being about as coherent as a stoner*** with the munchies because I'm actually finding staring at the screen almost painful on my beady little eyes.

I'm going to go and make myself some chicken soup, curl up on the couch and watch some Fringe while stewing in my own germy juices.

Peace and pancakes everyone. Mmm pancakes...

EDIT: I just found this and had to share it with you:

All Browncoats stand up. :) Can't stop the signal.



*That's the second time I've used that word today.
** Having another awesome bagel.
*** According to spell check stoner isn't a word.

6 comments:

  1. Really hope you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading At the Mountains of Madness this week... AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Zombie thanks. I will because I'm going to drown my germs in orange juice...

    @Kev D. I am really loving Lovecraft, I don't know why I didn't read him earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better! I love my Kindle too. And the fact that it can pronounce Cthulhu properly just made me love it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you're still sick. Today was tuna on a toasted bagel with lettuce, tomato and a little red wine vinegar. OMG it was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @A Beer for the Shower I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves their kindle a little too much. ;)

    @Bouncin' Barb I'm determined to beat this cold. And that combination for a bagel sounds so yum!

    ReplyDelete