Pages

Monday 11 April 2011

Top Five YA reads...at the moment...

Why good morning dear readers.
How are you today? I am hoping you are well but if not I hope you feel better very quickly. As you may have seen I am in somewhat of a whimsical mood this morning. I still have that niggling headache but I am fighting it off with coffee and painkillers.

Today I'm going to attempt to narrow down my favourites for YA fiction reads at the moment. The problem with this one is I am constantly reading great new books that deserve to be mentioned and to narrow them down to five...well...it is going to be tricky but I think I can manage it. Otherwise I may have to do another of these?

Looking For Alaska by John Green
If you have been reading my blog for any length of time you will see me mention this book and author numerous times and this is because it is made of awesome. The first time I read this book I fell in love with the characters. They were haunting, whimsical and real, which really stands out. They are the kind of characters you wished you knew in real life, if only for a moment. The basic plot follows Pudge as he goes to boarding school and finds himself captivated by the free spirited and, somewhat, cynical Alaska. It is one of those books that I feel every teen should read or adult in my case.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
This could easily go into 'adult' fantasy but I think it is a great read that reminds me of Tamora Pierce. (That is a compliment in case anyone was wondering.) The story follows Katsa, a young girl with a grace (ability) to kill. She believes she is trapped and cursed and this story follows her on a journey of discovery. Cashore has created a well rounded and beautiful world. There is also a prequel (Fire) and an upcoming sequel.

Tithe by Holly Black
What I love about Black's books are they are always different and they always give a new view on classic faery tales. Tithe is no different as it follows Kaye, a young girl who learns that she is more than just a girl. With faeries, changlings and a little bit of romance this book presents a great read for anyone who loves their urban fantasy. Also, check out other books by Black such as Valiant, Ironside and White Cat.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
This is another book that I have been blogging about for some time. I love it and I can't get enough of the Hunger Games trilogy. It is a fast paced action series that I feel should appeal to boys just as much as girls. It reminds me of a cross between The Running Man and Battle Royale. Katniss Everdeen takes her sister's place as a tribute for the 74th Hunger Games even though she knows that this will mean her death. Brilliant.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Another urban fantasy but Clare's wit makes it brilliant. It is the first in what started as a trilogy but now there are four with two more int he wings. It follows Clary Fray, a girl who finds out that New York is a bit bigger than she thought and that there are more than just humans living in the city. It is a fun read full of adventure, romance and maybe just a little incest...?

Okay, this list was really hard because the minute I started writing one name I thought of several other books that were really good and I am so indecisive that it makes it nearly impossible for me to choose just five. Some others that I would recommend include:
The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
Poison Study by Maria V Snyder

Okay this list will get out of hand so I will stop here but if anyone does want a recommendation please let me know. There are so many wonderful books that I would recommend because reading is a very good thing.

Until tomorrow...

***Edit - I didn't mean to leave Harry Potter off this list. The series is just brilliant and stands in a category all of its own. Please don't hate me...Harry Potter is not just YA...that's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment