Pages

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Top Five Fictional Werewolves - and technology is still hating me...

I'm at work as I write this but it has been a slow morning so I feel that it is okay that I am doing this. I've been up for quite some time and I can tell you that I have learned a couple of things in the last couple of days; Most importantly, I have learned that leaving a Yoda backpack sitting up in my room is bad. I don't know who got the worse scare, myself or the Yoda backpack.

Another thing that I have learned is that I quite enjoy doing this top five thing. If I had the time or patience I would try and figure out how to do polls on my blog just to see what happens. I might look into that after BEdA has finished.

In technology related news I somehow managed to kill my printer. I had 25 pages left of my manuscript to print when it just stopped. So far the score stands at technology three - JJ zero. It's a good thing I have a sense of humour otherwise I would be a sad little mess on the ground. Anyway, enough of my babbling let's get down to business.*

I was going to do a post about fictional bad guys but I thought I would leave that for later on so here are my top five fictional werewolves.**

Ginger - Ginger Snaps
Aside from the fact that this is one of the best films I have seen the character of Ginger going through the stages of the change (both as a werewolf and that awkward change from 'little girl' to 'young woman') is brilliant. With her sister watching on in confusion, worry and fright as Ginger sprouts hair in funny places, starts growing a tail and then fully turns into a serious lycanthrope. This is one film that I would recommend to anyone above the age of 16. (Hey I've got to pretend to be sensible.)

Elena - Bitten (Also various other titles from Kelley Armstrong's brilliant Women of the Otherworld series)
First, she's the world's only female werewolf. Second, she was bitten by her own fiancee.*** Third, she is constantly hunted by mutts because she is considered a trophy prize. Actually, this series is brilliant in the way it portrays werewolves. They aren't cursed in this series and many of them enjoy the transformation where they actually resemble wolves not walking nightmares.

George - Being Human (UK version as I haven't seen the US version)
I love this series and I love all the characters but since this is about werewolves I'm going to stick with George. He's sweet, confused, angry and all those emotions you expect with learning that you are no longer the same person you were and that you change into a howling monster at every full moon. Then there is the fact that he has no control over it. Just look at the intro to episode 2 in season one when Mitchell is doing the voice over. Brilliant.

Oz - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Seth Green is a favourite actor of mine and his turn as the 'so-laid-back-he's-nearly-falling-over' werewolf Oz is hilarious and sweet. The fact that he was turned by by his own cousin gives it an extra comedic twist. What is really sweet is his courtship of Willow and their little dance that they play around each other. 

David - An American Werewolf in London
This is a more tragic portrayal of a werewolf and also another favourite film of mine. The idea of being haunted by your own victims is interesting as well. What stands out to me is the image of David as the wolf running through the streets of London and through the London underground. (All places I am familiar with.) And the ending is almost heartbreaking in a way. Plus the music in this film is pretty wicked with every song referring to the moon in someway.

Well there goes my list of fictional werewolves. I still don't know why I put fictional in the title but I quite like it so I am going to leave it there. I best be getting back to work as well.

Let me know who your favourite werewolves are.


*For reasons unknown Flight of the Conchords' Business Time is now playing through my head...
** Compared to real werewolves...sigh...I know how that reads.
***Does that term work for males and females? I'm confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment