Pages

Thursday 14 April 2011

My Top Five Disney Films (Animated) and kidney stones...?

If you are starting to think that I am somewhat jinxed or cursed or just really unlucky I don't blame you but I'm just going to stay as optimistic as possible. The reason I say this as because I am currently trying to flush out a kidney stone - doesn't that sound sexy. What this basically means is I am trying to drink as much water as possible while hoping it doesn't get any worse otherwise I'm in for a trip to the hospital. (Which would make it the third trip in the space of 18 months.)

Enough of my moaning though. I've got a steady supply of water and other liquids and I want to hit this list. I'm a huge Disney fan and I have been for a long time. There is something magical about Disney that makes me smile and makes me want to draw. One of my dreams came true last year when I finally got to Disneyland in California where I regressed in age to about five.* I could seriously live there and be quite happy. This leads me to my top five (animated) Disney films.

Aladdin
"Riffraff! Street rat! Scoundrel! Take that!" I loved the story from a young age and Robin Williams turn as Genie was pure comedic brilliance. And Iago was annoying and funny. I just loved this movie and, let's be honest, who doesn't dream about escaping the life they have for something new and different. Every character in this film wants that with the exceptions of Rajah and the Sultan.





The Black Cauldron
This was one of Disney's darker films that I remember scaring me a little as a child. (No where near as much as Alice In Wonderland scared me when I was younger**) Based on Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain it had some lovely scenes and the visual art in this film, although darker, was still quite beautiful. I'd recommend reading the books as well.

Treasure Planet
It's a space western. Actually it's a futuristic version of Treasure Island. And I really loved it. Jim has always been a character that I liked - always wishing for something more and pushing at all the boundaries available. Plus, who wouldn't want to give solar surfing a try.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
If anything deserves to be in a top five list it has to be Snow White. The ultimate classic Disney film and a pure work of art. Plus it has Dopey and he has always been a secret favourite of mine. He is adorable. And we cannot forget the evil Queen in this film. She is terrifying and brilliant.

Tangled
This is my new favourite Disney film for two reasons: Rapunzel and Flynn. I saw it twice in the theatre, once in California and the other time here in New Zealand and I am just waiting for it to come out of DVD here. (Though I might have to buy it online.) It is beautiful, funny, witty and just amazing. The art alone is stunning. Then the character development is spot on. The chemistry between Flynn and Rapunzel is classic. I could really go on and on about this film but you have to just go and see it to understand.

And, because it's Disney and I can't narrow it down here are some honorable mentions: Beauty and the Beast, The Sword in the Stone, The Rescuers, The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo and Stitch...ah crap I'm about to list so many more...I'm guessing you get the drift.

Anyway, enjoy. I'm off to drink a lot of water. Until tomorrow, take care and watch some Disney!

*I'm not kidding. I put my hair up in high ponytails and jumped around the park. I was worse than a child on a sugar high. I had also had a wee bit of caffeine which could explain it?
**I now have a strange obsession with all forms of Alice In Wonderland and would definitely recommend the Disney version and the Syfy mini series for two unique looks at Carroll's world.

No comments:

Post a Comment