Pages

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Random Reading List...





I thought I would show you what I am currently or have just recently finished reading. You may have noticed a slight trend in my current reading material and looking at this pile it seems like I should be singing 'one of these things just doesn't belong here...' Can you tell which one?

I am a big fan of Cassandra Clare's work as her stories have me in fits of laughter and then sitting at the edge of my seat with her gripping adventure. Plus, she creates some amazingly lovable characters. Forget Team Edward or Jacob are you Team Jace, Team Will, Team Jem or, like me, Team Simon? If you haven't read any of her books I suggest you get to your nearest bookstore, library or somewhere with books and grab yourself a copy right now!

There is also a little of Big Bad Steve or the master of horror himself, Stephen King. I have enjoyed most of King's work and love the feeling of fear that some of his stories can bring out in me. I recall not wanting to brush my teeth after reading It  for fear of blood welling up out of the drain and I also remember wishing that I had friends like Bill, Ben, Beverly, Richie, Stan, Mike and Eddie. The Loser's Club rules!

I just finished Libba Bray's  A Great and Terrible Beauty and I am still not sure what I think of it as it isn't the normal kind of story that I follow. Don't get me wrong because it was a great story but it wasn't as captivating as Clare's work in my opinion though the imagery was very beautiful.

Maria V Snyder is my latest find and new favourite author at the moment. She reminds me of Tamora Pierce and this is a good thing because she will always be one of my favourite authors. There is something about the worlds that she has created that draws me in and I find myself lost in the story. Lost in a good way in case you were wondering. There is the added bonus that the heroines of these stories are a thousand times more likable than a certain Mary Sue who falls in love with a stalker vampire who sparkles...and we all know that vampires don't frakkin' sparkle. I find it hard to enjoy a book if the hero of the story is a rather uninteresting girl with no real personality which is definitely not the case in Snyder's book.

Orson Scott Card has always been a personal favourite after I read Ender's Game when I was a youngster and to learn more about the infamous Ender Wiggin has me super excited. If you haven't read Ender's Game I really suggest to get your hands on a copy because it is absolutely brilliant. Reading that book makes it okay for you to be intelligent.

Then, in this small pile, is a copy of Robert Frost's poetry - I'm not sure why I love his poetry so much but it seems so...natural. There is also a copy of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. This book has been a hard read mainly because I started reading it in the middle of my study last year and I had to put it down because I was getting frustrated with it. Oh well, I'll finish it one day.

And, finally, there is a copy of Serenity Found. This is a series of articles by fans of the show Firefly and the movie Serenity. If you haven't seen Firefly then I suggest that you get out there and rent or buy yourself a copy because it is a brilliant show and I can rave about it forever. The articles are hilarious and incredibly insightful.

Anyway, I thought some of you might find it interesting to see what I am reading at the moment.

If you have any suggestions let me know and I'll swing by the library!

Until next time - peace and pancakes!

P.S. bonus points for BSG references! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment