Pages

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Embracing the dork side...

As you know, I am pretty vocal about my own geekiness. I have special editions of Star Wars (The Empire Strikes Back is the best!). I can quote Firefly and Serenity with the best of them and have been known to break into song, singing verses of The Hero of Canton on a whim. I collect posters, badges/buttons, books, figurines, graphic novels (currently going through Y: The Last Man and Runaways interesting mix, I know.) I can randomly spurt facts about various shows, theories and so on. I am proud to be a geek girl...

BUT, I have never been a big gamer. Sure, I've played a couple of games on a friend's Xbox or PS but I've never owned anything more sophisticated than a Sega Master System 2 (yep, you read that right) which my sister and I got when we were at primary school back in the 90s. (Ah, the 90s, how I miss thee...) On this I played such great games as Wonderboy and a Michael Jackson game. Our first computer was a Commodore 64 made, partially, out of an old television set which had real floppy disks. I used to play Aliens on this machine, possibly the first real sign of my impending geekhood because I wasn't allowed to watch the film until I was 16 but knew all the characters names from playing this game.

This has changed with the newest edition to my household. I have recently adopted (bought) a Nintendo Wii - not the ultimate in gaming, or so I've been told, but it is a pretty decent start. My main motivation for buying this stylish Red Console (25th Anniversary edition Mario blah blah blah...it is so pretty and shiny though) was for health reasons for myself and my mother - in an attempt to continue my growing fitness levels. So, I have begun to play Wii Fit and laughing at the graphics of my Wii Mii and then there is all the fun in the name of the console...admit it, how many of you giggle when you think of playing with your Wii...I'm sorry but that joke will never get old, just like my maturity level...sigh...

Yet, the purchase of this shiny machine, which we have named Sarge, has opened the proverbial floodgates - all these shiny games that I have heard about and seen while scouring DVD and game stores are about to become part of my geek arsenal. What's worse is that I am now thinking of getting an Xbox or PS3 to indulge in my new love. Knights of the Old Republic seems dreadfully shiny and exciting and...I have to stop myself...but I saw the new Call of Duty: Black Ops in the store the other day and I think I squeed a little.

So, I feel that in buying this dreadfully addictive console I have invited more expenses into my life and given myself just one more thing that I can procrastinate with. I mean, I am supposed to be editing my novel and sending it off to publishers in the vague hopes that I can legitimately call myself an author rather than someone who has dreams of becoming an author. Also, being published provides a little money, or so I've heard.

Anyway, I will leave this here as Sarge is calling to me to play...must resist and focus on writing but...

Peace and pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment