Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2011

When things go a little wonky...

Teaching is stressful. It is emotionally draining. It is tiring. And, just sometimes, it is not a good place to be. That is the reason that I did not post on Monday.

Instead, today I decided to focus on me and the things that really make me feel more like me.

I've mentioned before that I am quirky and I have some rather...um...odd idiosyncrasies but, the main thing is, that I enjoy those little things that make up for me. So I have decided to write a small list of things that make me, well, me!

  1. I sometimes love to wear my hair in pigtails or plaits. I don't care that I am 29 and it may make me look 12. I do it because it makes me smile. I do it because I like the feeling of whimsy.
  2. I like to dance around to showtunes and songs from the 80s. I don't care if I look like someone in the midst of a fit or someone standing on an electric fence.
  3. Following on from the last point - I love to sing showtunes and Disney songs. Especially when I'm driving and I don't care if people look at me strange because it's my choice to want to do a rendition of Wicked while driving.*
  4. I like to paint my toenails in winter, even though no one will see them.
  5. I like My Little Ponies AND Transformers. (Though I liked Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors more!)
  6. I love Penelope Garcia's style from Criminal Minds just as much as I love her personality. She likes to surround herself with things that bring her joy and I need to do more of that. Plus, she doesn't conform to those around her. Why should she?
  7. I love to collect badges. Especially if they are quirky and make me giggle because I'm allowed to smile, damn it. I'm allow to be happy or amused! Adding to this, I also like to buy books because I know I'll read them more than once! Or, if I don't, I'll give them to a good home!
  8. I love using large words that trickle from my tongue. I love to manipulate language until I have said the same thing three different ways. I love the sounds that words make and how they can change a scene from seriousness to comedic in a split second. (Or by the removal of key grammar points! Remember that grammar can save lives!)
  9. I love making other people smile or laugh because I can. I don't care if I look like an idiotic. If I can make you feel better about being you why wouldn't I?
  10. And, finally, I love expressing myself in my own way. I don't want to be a sheep. I don't care if my shoes are so '2008'. Like I give a frak. I was never put here to appease anyone but myself! If you don't like me that's your problem because, for today, I'm feeling pretty darn awesome.
Have a frakking wicked (no pun intended) day guys!

*Singing "Popular" from Wicked is so much fun.

6 comments:

  1. You are a girl after my own heart!
    I completely agree about teaching being all those things! People just don't get it though!

    Also, I wear my hair in plaits too, nothing wrong with that!
    I LOVE 'popular'. I even played it to my year 11 class when revising before their exams!
    I am a massive fan of transformers.
    I paint my toenails ALL year round.

    Maybe it's a teacher thing?! Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for it being a teacher thing. I am surprised by how emotionally stressful this job is and trying to get students to revise is akin to trying to pull teeth or get blood from a stone. It's rather funny when your own students tell you to calm down because you're not the one taking the exam...oh bless their little cotton socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear, you dance and sing it any way you want. That's why God made each of us individuals, to give glory in our own ways. I know what you are saying about the stress. I remember a teacher at my school that was really great when put with more mature students- but the little SOBs i n jr. high- my nephew included- nearly gave the poor man a stroke. Unfortunately, they can smell weakness and will go after it. Chin up, be strong, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I will persevere, especially when I remind myself that I'm a new teacher and it's only my sixth week. (Too early to expect miracles.)

    And that is so true, they can smell weakness from a mile away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number eight, I have to admit, is one of my favourite things to do. :)

    ReplyDelete