Pages

Friday 24 June 2011

"I don't care if the carpet doesn't match the curtains..."

I was feeling whimsical today and stole my friends cat hat. I have been wearing it most of the afternoon and giggling at the reactions of the customers in the takeaway shop.

It's resting on my knee because, a, I couldn't really get a good picture by myself* and b, because I didn't want to scare/blind/wow you with my own face.

I have to be honest. I didn't actually steal it rather than borrow it for an extended period of time. Said friend will be coming over tonight to escape her partner/soon-to-be husband and their two children. I don't blame her - if I had children I'd probably want to escape them too. Actually, that's not true either, if I baked a kid in my womb for the nine or so months it's supposed to take I would probably get attached to the sprog.

Speaking of my said friend (and I promise she's real) we were in town today, which is a regular Friday thing for us as she throws her kids into day care and we indulge in coffee and random window shopping. Anyway, my friend is having her house worked on and needs new carpet so we were looking through a carpet court place and she was being asked all these questions by the salesman. I was only half listening when this gem escaped her lips:

Salesman: So, what colour are you wanting to go for?
Friend: Something light I guess. My husband cares that the carpets match the curtains but I don't care. I don't care if the carpets don't match the curtains.

I'm not sure but I swear the salesman's cheeks reddened ever so slightly. Me, I just about wet myself laughing. What made this even better was the fact that my friend had no idea what she had said. So, between fits of laughter, I tried to explain the idea of carpets matching the drapes and what that often means. At first she just thought that I was obsessed with crude euphemisms but her face when she realised what she'd said...well it was worth the explanation.

She'll be coming over shortly where we will possibly indulge in some wine, because we're obviously so classy, and watch a movie. I feel like watching something action packed like maybe Boondock Saints or Predator but we'll possibly watch Juno or Little Miss Sunshine. Either way, random chatty gossip will occur and planning for her wedding in a few short months. I have to make a speech and I'm trying to figure out if I shall embarrass her or go all emotional and sentimental. It's going to be interesting since I've known both her and her husband-to-be for a long time; we all went to primary school together.

Oh, one final thing before I go and hunt out some nice wine, I handed in my resignation anbd expected some sort of reaction, hell I had spent half the night in a bundle of frayed nerves but she was scarily okay with it. Even the other person there was confused...

Thanks to all of your kind words that made me feel stronger as well.


*I currently have no friends...nearby to help...

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the resignation! As you've probably seen from some of my posts, leaving my job was the greatest thing that could have happened to me. So knock back a cold one (or wine) and celebrate! Or knock back a cold one and cry. Hopefully not the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decided it's definitely not going to be the latter. And I may even crack open a beer rather than a wine...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. w00t! You did it. Awesome.

    And I can totally see the friend in question not knowing what she just said. Ah... bless her.

    Hope you enjoyed movie night...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh heh. We watched Enchanted. Well, she watched and I surfed the web because that's the nieces favourite film and I've seen it nearly 100 times.

    ReplyDelete